Introductory Lab Chemistry Instructor
Qualifications: experience teaching lab science and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Based on the Bowdoin campus for six weeks, Upward Bound is a college preparatory program for low income and first generation students from selected Maine high schools. The students live in residence, take courses in lab science, mathematics, writing and foreign language--in addition to a great array of cultural and college preparatory activities. The 2017 program is in session from June 21 – July 29.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Prepare a 21-day, introductory lab science curriculum
- Work with UB and Bowdoin Chemistry to order needed supplies
- Attend lab safety training in early June (TBD)
- Attend faculty orientation
- Teach three 70-minute periods daily, 8:15a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Class size approximately fifteen.)
- Supervise classroom teaching assistants
- Maintain a safe, clean lab, including all prep and cleanup
- Establish weekly evening office hours
- Attend weekly staff lunch meeting
- Attend daily community meeting as possible
- Maintain record of student performance
- Provide narrative evaluations of student work at close of session
Salary: $2,500 - $2,800 based on experience.
Position open until filled. To apply, please fax or email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to:
Bridget Mullen, Director
Bowdoin College Upward Bound
Bowdoin College values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Bowdoin College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age disability, physical or mental handicap, marital, parental or veteran status in the administration of educational programs or employment. Bowdoin College implements affirmative action initiatives, which promote equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Upward Bound offers low income, first generation students college prep outreach during the school year and a 6-week residential component in the summer at Bowdoin College. The program exposes its students to rigorous academics, dorm life, and a variety of cultural activities and college trips with the overall mission of providing students with the skills necessary for success in higher education.
Visit our website: http://www.bowdoin.edu/upward-bound/index.shtml