St. Mary's Health System, a member of Covenant Health, is seeking a full-time Teacher to work in the Renaissance School. This position functions as the subject matter expert who contributes to the strategic planning and implementation of an academic and behavioral school program with a goal of providing long term positive gains resulting in academic and social success over a lifetime for our students. Will be actively involved in providing and overseeing special education services for behaviorally impaired children between the ages of five and twelve.
The Renaissance School is educational and psychiatric day treatment programs for primary and middle school special education students between 5 and 15 years of age, and is licensed by the Maine Department of Education as a "Special Purpose School". All children served are diagnosed by the sending Pupil Evaluation Team as having a behavioral impairment or emotional disturbance which severely impedes their ability to receive educational services in the sending school. Additionally, all children served by the Renaissance School and Renaissance Middle School have a diagnosis under DSM IV which necessitates psychiatric care.
The student day runs from 8:30 AM to 3:00 Monday through Friday during the regular school year, and from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM during the extended school year (summer months). The school is closed on weekends and holidays. The school additionally follows the Auburn School Department school calendar, and is closed to students for the same school vacations, teacher workshop days, and inclement weather cancellations. The school is staffed Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM except hospital holidays. Staff are in attendance during school vacations.
- Assists in development, refinement and implementation of school strategic goals and planning
- develops and administers classroom curriculum, valid for reciprocal classroom credit, including research, selection of educational materials, texts, books and other resources and maintains inventory of such educational resources
- Establishes, implements and maintains in collaboration with other teachers, social workers and clinical coordinator, intervention and crisis management plan for the Behavioral Resource Classroom
- Provides direct classroom oversight of Behavioral Resource Classroom
Education and Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree Required, Graduate degree in a relevant education related field preferred
- Maine Dept of Education Certification 282 (Special Education) required
- BCLS certification required
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills required
- Commitment to the mission and values of Covenant Health